Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 14:10:59 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        winter@jurai.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/lang Makefile ports/lang/icc Makefile distinfo pkg-comment pkg-descr pkg-plist ports/lang/icc/files patch-include

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 10:03:47AM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> > This is fine just to get things working.  But please consider Doing It
> > Right -- that being wrap the definitions of CC, CFLAGS, and PICFLAG with
> > USE_ICC rather than strew USE_ICC all over the place.  For instance:
> >
> >     /usr/share/mk/sys.mk
> >     .if defined(USE_ICC)
> >     CC= icc
> >     .else
> >     CC= cc
> >     .endif
>
> - How do you want to solve the single suffix rules then?

What is the problem with them?

    .c:
        ${CC} ${CFLAGS} ${LDFLAGS} -o ${.TARGET} ${.IMPSRC}

CC and CFLAGS is used.

> - Do we use ${LD} in every significant place?

If we don't it is a bug -- send in a patch.  But LD is `ld', does ICC
come with its own linker?

> - What about ports with "CC=${CC}" in CONFIGURE_ENV (they would break
>   in the USE_ICC case)?

How would they??  CC=icc if you have USE_ICC defined.  Either in
/etc/make.conf or `make USE_ICC=yes'.

It seems you do not realize the whole reason for "${CC}" rather than just
"cc".

> >> Ok as a short term solution, but IMHO this should get solved in the
> >> source.
> >
> > Totally agreed for defining __GNUC__.
>
> And the __attribute__ line is the reason why libc doesn't work.

Explain "does not work".