Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:50:45 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Geom project, limited preview...

In message <20020129234225.A981@dhcp01.pn.xcllnt.net>, Marcel Moolenaar writes:
>On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 04:00:11PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>
>> I'm interested in getting in touch with people who are interested in
>> writing modules for Geom or people who work new architectures and
>> have to contest strange disklabel formats -> get in touch with me.
>
>It looks to me that the EFI GUID Partition Table (GPT) can be dealt
>with almost trivially with Geom. This would be a good thing for the
>ia64 port and upcoming EFI based ia32 systems (if any).

Peter already mentioned this to me.

>BTW, the documented discovery order under EFI is 1) GPT, 2) ISO-9660
>and 3) Legacy MBR. This would imply that self-discovery as you
>suggest for MBR and BSD would have some constraints, whether it's
>one we hardcode or provide through a more dynamic mechanism.

I have not implemented this yet: my idea was that each method would
have a hardcoded priority number and that they would get a chance
to bite in priority order, that should be suffice for this.

Needless to say, the "taste" routine is able to examine the local
surroundings in detail, so for instance we can make the MBR look if
GPT already found this particular node and if so just give up.