Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2019 09:35:06 +0200
From:      Daniel Engberg <daniel.engberg.lists@pyret.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Buildworld seems to have slowed lately

Hi,

Without details it's a bit hard to give you any suggestions but for
instance a new version of llvm/clang has been imported which may account
to some of the slowdown.

If you're going full blast using buildworld (-j4 or higher) you're going
to see a lot of swap usage since the rpi3 only has 1Gbyte of RAM and
it's going to be very slow especially if you have swap on a SD card or
USB stick. Having WITNESS enabled isn't going to speed up the process
either but you can temporarily disable it.

Depending on your requirements you can also exclude some parts of the
build such as debugging, profiling, tests and lib32. You can also try
NO_CLEAN (man 7 build) but given that you don't seem to build very
frequently it's probably a bad idea.

About 2 weeks ago on my Orange Pi PC (ARMv7) world built in 112855
seconds (about 31h) using -j2 and ripping out debugging and tests which
is quite a bit faster than yours but then again you might want to keep
the debugging stuff etc.

If you want it to be noticably faster get a board with at least 2Gb of
RAM (preferably 3+) since it'll help tremendously or crosscompile
although I'm not aware of any easy way to installed a crosscompiled
world/kernel.

I've added two wiki pages about topic which may be of interest

https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Self-hosting
https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Build_image_using_release_building_infrastructure

Best regards,
Daniel