Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 14:40:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        "Duane R. Ellison" <duane@gargamel.ptw.com>
Cc:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pppd not dying

We have the same problem, except in our case it's not releasing the line
so we can't establish a new connection.  When my line drops I have to
dial a terminal server, log in, telnet to the FreeBSD server, kill the
PPP daemon (as noted, a new one gets created...), log out, then redial
our server.

My /etc/ppp/options file looks like:

  netmask 255.255.255.240         # subnet mask for our system
  -detach                         # don't detach
  crtscts                         # enable hardware flow control
  passive                         # establish passive link (wait for LCP)
  modem                           # use modem line control
  proxyarp                        # insert an ARP entry for the host
  lcp-echo-interval       30      # send an echo packet every 30 seconds
  lcp-echo-failure        10      # die after n failed lcp echo requests
  debug

and the .ppprc file for the account looks like:

  198.116.75.49:198.116.75.65

The username is configured as:

  xxxppp:*:32002:32000:Mike's PPP:/home/xxxppp:/usr/sbin/pppd

so that pppd is launched as the account's shell as soon as the login
occurs.

What appears to happen is carrier drops, then pppd spawns a new version
of itself which camps out forever on the line; thus getty never gets
restarted so you can't log in again.

This happened on 2.0R as well as 2.0.5R.  It did *NOT* happen on Linux.
I've posted a couple of requests to the list, but gotten no help (other
than advice to switch to ijppp :-)

Needless to say, this is exceedingly annoying... ;-(  Any help would be
greatly appreciated!! :-)

Thanks,

Mike

On Sun, 6 Aug 1995, Duane R. Ellison wrote:

> Date: Sun, 6 Aug 1995 22:14:09 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Duane R. Ellison <duane@gargamel.ptw.com>
> To: questions <questions@freebsd.org>
> Subject: pppd not dying
>

> I have a question concerning pppd.  I have been able to dial in and
> connect, and the port will reset once the connection is dropped, but the
> pppd keeps on running and doesn't go away.  I am even able to re-log back
> in and the task doesn't go away (in fact another one is created).  I
> figure I must be missing something.
>
> #My /etc/ppp/options
> modem
> crtscts
> proxyarp

> pppd is started (right now for testing purposes) in the user's ppptest
> .profile which is:
> #/home/ppptest/.profile
> PATH=$HOME/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin
> export PATH
>
> EDITOR=vi
> export EDITOR
> EXINIT='set autoindent'
> export EXINIT
> PAGER=more
> export PAGER
>
> umask 2
>
> /usr/sbin/pppd 10.0.0.3:10.0.0.50 lcp-echo-interval 1 lcp-echo-failure 1

> I added the lcp-echo-interval and lcp-echo-failure thinking that might be
> my problem but it hasn't done anything for me.  Anyway thanks in advance
> for the help...
>
> 	--- Duane
>        Duane Ellison                         duane@gargamel.ptw.com
>                                          http://gargamel.ptw.com/~duane

Thanks,

Mike

|Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
|NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
|Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
|MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
|+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |
|                  work: http://www.eco.nsi.nasa.gov/~mnewell               |
|                    home: http://www.newell.arlington.va.us                |