Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:02:19 -0700
From:      Thomas Stephens <tas@stephens.org>
To:        chris@calldei.com
Cc:        Thomas Stephens <tas@stephens.org>, butthead@icb.spb.su, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps report

Chris Costello wrote:

>   Upgrading FreeBSD's userland and kernel are amazingly easy.
>
>cd /usr/share/examples/cvsup
>cvsup -h cvsup.freebsd.org st{andard,able}-supfile
>cd /usr/src
>make world
>cd /usr/src/sys/[platform]/conf
>[edit kernel config]
>config kernel
>cd /sys/compile/kernel
>make depend all && make install

There are a number of complex issues which can cause trouble if you
don't properly upgrade /etc, /dev and what have you.  These aren't
upgraded when you `make world', and must be dealt with manually. Read
the tutorial:

http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html

I also prefer to synchronise my source trees via `make update' (with a
properly-modified make.conf), and use `make buildworld' and `make
installworld', rather than `make world', but these are matters of
individual preference.

Thomas Stephens
tas@stephens.org