Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 23:19:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI vs. DMA33..

>     I think where overlapping commands have their greatest
>     advantage is when a command to a drive has a certain
>     latency associated with it that prevents you from issuing
>     another command to the drive that might be completed more
>     efficiently by the drive

You mean like "write" or "read"?

8-).

PS: I think your Promise two channel concurrent access problems may
be because of the way you compiled your kernel; make sure you are
not using the CMD640B workaround (where we intentionally do not
access the second channel while the first is active, and vice-versa
because the IDE controller chip will silently interrupt transfers
in progress).

Also make sure that the workaround is not being triggered by onboard
Intel or other IDE chips known to have the same problem (this may
occur silently because we can detect buggy Intel chips, but we can't
detect CMD640B's relaibly).

Probably you want to put in a printf.  See the relevent CMD640B code.

PS: Your SCSI drives appear to suck; it is not fair for you to
blame this on SCSI instead of on the drive manufacturer.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.