Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 14:20:03 -0600
From:      Ryan Thompson <listaccount@home.com>
To:        Noel del Rosario <rosarion@fsj.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mouse is freezing after several clicks

Noel del Rosario wrote:

> When in X-windows, I noticed that after clicking the mouse
> to activate some applications, when I had done this about
> 5 or more times, the system froze. Then I had to do
> a hardboot.
>
> What is your advise??

Hi Noel.  It's a little difficult for me to do any more than hazard a
few possible guesses at what you problem might be without more detail.

Since I don't know what you may or may not have already tried to correct
the problem, I may waste some bandwidth here, but c'est la vie..

Reboot your machine, and enter the visual kernel configuration.  Check
for conflicts, in particular, in the "Input" section.  I do not know
what type of mouse you have (ie. PS/2, serial) so that is up to you :)
If another device is relying on the same port address or IRQ, clicks of
the mouse could quite possibly trigger a conflict, and the most common
side effect of such a conflict is a temporary or permanent lock up.

You may want to re-run the mouse daemon config to verify it is set
correctly.  Execute /stand/sysinstall as root (without X running) and
find the mouse daemon config.  Run it, set it to your mouse type, and
test it.

I'm going to assume that you're using XFree86 as your X package.  If so,
it may be worthwhile to run the X config tool and verify the mouse
config there.

Beyond those generalized tips... There is little else I can do now but
hope, and indeed pray, for the well-being of your troubled little rodent
friend.  Peace be with thee :-)

   : Ryan Thompson -*- ryant@home.com :
  :   # config world                           :
  :   # make world                             :
  :      - Can your OS do THAT?!   - Ryan T.   :