Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 1995 13:28:23 -0600
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: env-dependant symlinks [Was: DEC Alpha Multia (fwd)]

Jordan says:

>What we REALLY need, I suppose, is a way for another daemon process to
>attach itself (well, maybe one or more daemons) and register itself as
>a "translator" somehow.  It would also have to have a method for
>slurping context out of other processes if the environment expansion
>were to work, but I imagine that this isn't totally impossible..

Sounds like a job for Portals. Also, the URL file spec seems to be handled
well by ALEX... just extend it to support more than just FTP.

I wouldn't do it by pattern matching on names, though. I've had a lot of
experience on Xenix where this is a feature of OpenNET. You get all sorts
of problems unless you name stuff *just right*. We ended up making *all*
redirects (pre-namei pattern matches) start with "//". Symlinks are a
superior mechanism.

Anyway, the portal code should be in 4.4... you need to get someone with more
kernel smarts than me to implement it though.