Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2012 11:25:59 +0200
From:      Andreas Nilsson <andrnils@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   iwn adhoc mode

Hello list,

I'm trying use my nokia n9 as a wifi hotspot for my laptop, but cannot
associate. The n9 is a bit peculiar, as it uses adhoc-mode for hotspot.

I have

network={
        ssid="andrnils n9a"
        key_mgmt=NONE
        wep_tx_keyidx=0
        wep_key0=[redacted]
        priority=50
        mode=1
}

in wpa_supplicant.conf . wpa_cli reveals
<2>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
<2>Trying to associate with SSID 'andrnils n9a'
<2>Association request to the driver failed

and when I try to setup the connection manually with ifconfig I get
ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: Operation not supported
and from reading older postings it seems that iwn has a problem with ad-hoc
mode.

I'm on 9-stable (r238754), hardware is lenovo thinkpad t510
iwn0@pci0:3:0:0:        class=0x028000 card=0x11118086 chip=0x42388086
rev=0x35 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'Centrino Ultimate-N 6300'