Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 15:45:00 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, David Shanes <dshanes@personalogic.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

On Fri, Apr 10, 1998 at 01:20:37PM -0700, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use mgetty+vgetty to manage my phone. Hylafax has the capability to
> launch vgetty however I have not play with that setup . Usually for
> faxing out I just launch Hylafax and kill vgetty. Perhaps, this
> weekend I will play more with Hylafax to figure out how it
> can launch vgetty when it detects voice.
>
> You can play any greeting message that you like including randomly
> select your greeting message.It should be possible to setup vgetty
> with voice boxes for your favorite contacts .
>

> vgetty answers the phone and  detects fax or voice. When vgetty gets a voice
> message streams it encapsulates the stream into a mime message then
> it mails to me . This is action is simply performed by a default script
> which vgetty invokes after receiving a voice message.
>  My mail reader is exmh a tcl/tk front-end to MH.
>
> I have my exmh setup so that when I  click on my voice folder, the voice
> messages are displayed as:
>
>  Play attached audio
>
>  Save audio file
>
> You click on "Play Attached Audio" and it invokes NCD's network audio player
> which has the capability to go play at any point in the audio stream
> by bracketing the audio stream.
>
> If you like , see : ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/Voice.FAQ it is outdated
> however it will give you an idea of how to set it up.
>
> It is possible to setup vgetty with a voice menu. With the obvious advantage
> that you have a whole OS to play with .
>

> If there is interest , I can gather the latest mgetty+vgetty distributions
> and generate a nice user friendly package.
>

> 	Cheers,
> 	Amancio

Amancio,

This is just about the coolest thing I have heard of in the last 6
months!!! Would you like to give a demo of this system at the next BAFUG
(Bay Area FreeBSD Users Group) ?

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.5
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses