Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 05:38:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      "jtkipp@students.wisc.edu" <jesse@foo.bar.com>
To:        Onofrio Schiavone <onofrio@colba.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation

1) The First thing you need to do is go to the FreeBSD website:
www.freebsd.org (these files are also on the CD somewhere...)
and download (there is a link to the page that has these in the right hand
column of the main page)

boot.flp
fdimage.exe

There are instructions for using fdimage.exe to create a boot disk for
freebsd, or at the dos prompt you can type c:\>fdimage /?

1.5) You will be greatly rewarded if there is a problem if you go to
www.shareware.com
or some simelar site and download a program called "FIPS". You can use
fips to make a copy of your boot sector on a floppy disk, in case anything
goes wrong, the FIPS documentation covers doing this well, you can make an
image of your boot sector by using a dos boot disk and then typing:
a:>fips -t
(-t for test) and you can safely cancel anytime before you actually have
to change your boot sector

2) You now have two boot disks:
a) the FreeBSD bootdisk with boot.flp copied to it using fdimage.exe
b) the emergancy bootdisk with a copy of your boot sector
Put the FreeBSD bootdisk into the disk drive, and reboot.

3) The freebsd boot prompt will come up, and tell you to not do anything,
don't do anything, in a couple of seconds it will load the freebsd kernal
into memory, and bring up a screen divided into three parts, the top part
is all you have to deal with, if you want to. Follow the instructions on
the screen, you do not have to change anything on this screen, if you are
not up to it, but eliminating hardware from the lists that is not on your
computer will speed up the process. When you leave that screen, FreeBSD
will automatically probe the computer for all the hardware it supports
(except for the hardware you deleated from the lists...)

4) A screen with one menu in the center will come up, use the arrow keys
to move the highlighter down to:
Novice installation
and press enter.

5) You will be asked a variety of questions about your computer and how
much of freebsd you wish to install (Just Binary, developer, or a
combination of the two), your method of installation (NFS, FTP, From a
dos partition, in your case, probably CD), etc.,
etc., etc.... (note, if your CD drive is not recognized, copy the files
onto your c:\ partition in the directory c:\freebsd\. for a minimum
install is should contain: c:\freebsd\bin\bin.inf, bin.aa, bin.ab, bin.ac,
bin.ad, etc.. and a checksum file, maybe CHECKSUM.MD5)

6) The Tricky part:
FreeBSD would like to know where on your Harddrive to put itself...
a table will come up with some information about your harddrive partition
sceme... you should choose to delete the I drive (probably the last one
listed on the chart, probably named wd0s6 or wd0s7 you'll be able to tell
by the size...) and then choose Create slice, choose FreeBSD file type,
you partition table will now show:
A boot sector
6 MSDOS partitions
1 FreeBSD partition
and you may continue...

7) The Next screen that comes up will ask you about "mounting" file
systems, this is nothing you have to worry about, unless you plan on using
this computer for a USENET or E-MAIL server, choose default or automatic
allocation, and accept the mounting scheme.

8) FreeBSD should go ahead and start installing now, unless it cares to
stop and ask a few more questions, but they will be easy...

9) If anything goes wrong, ^C (control-C) will cancel the installation if
you can't recover, you can just go back and try again, if DOS won't boot,
or you get an error message: BAD PARTITION TABLE go to the disk made in
part 1.5 and run the restore program, and go try again, if you have any
problems, you can go to the FreeBSD homepage (listed above) or e-mail
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (where you mail to get this answer) and
somebody will be happy to help you recover, and install freebsd...

This covers the tough part, after the files are finished copying, the
installation program will ask you about configuration, that is all easy
stuff though, and I'm sure that you'll figure that out, even if you are a
two year old... ;)

Good Luck, if you have any questions please mail me or the mailing list,
if you found this tremendously long e-mail message helpful, let me know.

"Of course, the irony of pretty clothes is it makes people want to take
them off. This is why I wear nothing but the ugliest clothing I can find"
        Jesse Kipp, zaphod@imailbox.com, jtkipp@students.wisc.edu
Disclaimer: This message is based on my infinitesimal understanding of a
really really vast universe: Use with caution.