Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:44:37 -0500
From:      Brian McGovern <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        Lars Erik Gullerud <lerik@kq.no>
Cc:        qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.5-RC2 kernel, m_clalloc failed

In my opinion, I don't think you can really say something is broken, merely
mis-tuned.

From what I know, NMBCLUSTERS, when not explicitly set, is scaled based on
MAXUSERS.

So, what you've done is to say:

 MAXUSERS = some guessed-at number
 NMBCLUSTERS = MAXUSERS * some guessed-at order of magnitude for an "average"
		"user" (note the individual quotes, meaning that average and
		user need to be defined differently)

 NMBCLUSTERS is less than the number you need for your application.

So, perhaps you should look at the number of NMBCLUSTERS on a working machine
(information that in my read through appers to be missing), and compare it
to the auto-calculated values. If they're really close, it might be a real
problem (or just a marginal case). If they're significantly different, than
what you're saying is that auto tuning doesn't work in YOUR case (I happy
run with MAXUSERS between 64 and 256 on all machines, and have _never_
had a problem).

I expect the reason for the self-tune was for newer boxes, 2+GHz monsters
with 2-4GB of RAM and a Gig-E port that were being bottlenecked by the fact
that MAXUSERS (and all of its derived values) were being set to a number
lower than the sweet spot by being fixed, and the auto-tune code makes a stab
at doing something better in the _average_ case.