Date:      Sat, 4 Mar 2006 07:48:11 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
Subject:   Re: Fresh install on gmirror'ed disks?

On Friday 03 March 2006 23:45, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> I would certainly see the installer handling software RAID as a
> considerable benefit.
>
>  From what I've seen on the net, to install and boot off RAIDed system
> disks is quite fiddly (maybe gmirror is the exception here, as I've
> mainly been looking at striping).
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

geom changed this complications definitely, using gmirror or gstripe comman=
ds=20
is easy as copying a file. Probably one of the most important things that=20
with vinum as example it was not possible to mirror a root partition but=20
since gmirror places the metadata different we can have now a mirrored and=
=20
bootable root partition. Striping with ccd and vinum or mirroring was=20
certainly a pain even if it worked then stable and reliable. So in comparis=
m=20
the easy use of geom is great and the people which developed geom did a=20
really fantastic job.

Jo=E3o