Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:58:45 +0200
From:      Miguel Marcos <mmarcos@computer.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Master/Slave cdrom problem on install

Hi. This is a question I hope I'm not repeating; my searches on
freebsd.org and elsewhere have been fruitless.

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4.3 from CDs I purchased from
WindRiver. I have a ThinkPad 600E currently running Windows 98.

When I boot from the cdrom located in the laptop's internal bay
(separate from the HD), an error appears. The command line reads that
it cannot find out what device it is booting from.

It reads as follows:
"BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
Console: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1
BIOS 639kB/97088kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstap loader, Revision 0.8
(jkh@narf.osd.bsdi.com, Sat Apr 21 08:46:19 GMT 2001)
Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
Guessed BIOS device 0x8b not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel]...
can't load 'kernel'
can't load 'kernel.old'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
ok _"

help tells me "Verbose help not available, etc."

? gives me all available commands. I've done an lsdev and ls and they
both give the error "open '/' failed: input/output error

I am aware from documentation about the need to check on the
master/slave setting of the cdrom but I've been able to find out how
to do this on further searches, even on IBM's support site. A
stranger thing is that I *can* boot Debian Linux 2.2 cdrom and also
the Win98 cdrom from the cdrom device.

I also know about the alternative to boot from a floppy but, to make
the situation especially, frustrating, the floppy device does not
work correctly (can't initialize, recognize floppies in Explorer).

I appreciate any help. Miguel