Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2023 14:57:18 +0000 (UTC)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Swap filling up, usermode process swap usage doesn't explain

On Thu, 20 Jul 2023, Graham Perrin wrote:

> On 20/07/2023 06:53, Jack Raats wrote:
>       ?
>
>       At my systems ZFS is very memory hungry. ?
>

> Which versions of FreeBSD, exactly, at those systems?
>
> uname -aKU

It does not really sound like your issue is similar to mine, but just in
case ...  The system in question runs several jails.

I have this problem on an older system running FreeBSD 11.3 (can't update
w/o being physically present) php 7.2, mysql 5.7 and apache 2.4. In my case
some interaction between apache and mysql causes an increase in swap due to
apache not freeing memory. For me when swap exceeds 50% swap space starts
increasing very rapidly. I can recover swap space by restarting the various
apache's

This seems to be fixed in 12 and beyond. I have a 12 system that does not
exhibit this behavior.