Date:      7 Dec 1997 20:40:13 -0000
From:      tqbf@joshua.enteract.com
To:        molter@logic.it, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [linux-security] New Program: Abacus Sentry - Port Scan Detector (fwd)

In muc.lists.freebsd.security, you wrote:
>I though someone could be interested in this program, a port scanner
>which seems more featureful than strobe (a port scanner in the
>FreeBSD ports).

It's not a port scanner. It's a bad port-scan detector; it's designed to
tell you when things like strobe (excellent program) are run against your
host. It also doesn't work. In general, you need low-level network access
(packet capture) to really detect port-scans, because it's not hard to
find out of a TCB exists without tickling accept(). "Sentry" just binds to
a bunch of ports and trusts that if someone probes one of them, it'll
notice.

Thomas H. Ptacek			     		Secure Networks, Inc.
http://www.enteract.com/~tqbf				"mmm... sacrilicious"