Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 01:12:18 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Michael Chin-yuan Wu <mwu@ece.utexas.edu>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook: FreeBSD Internals- Request for Review

I'll deal with the other stuff in a separate message.

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 11:35:11PM -0700, Jim Mock wrote:
> > We might be able to pull in chapters 21 ("Adding new Kernel Configuration
> > Options") and 22 ("Kernel Debugging") as well.  21 isn't really needed in
> > a user-level document, although I can see a case for keeping 22 in the
> > main Handbook.
>
> Again this all sounds great.  Here's some info on what I plan to do to
> get this thing to the printers.  Since the handbook is an ever-changing
> document, I basically plan to take a 'snapshot' it as is (or as is in a
> day or two) and put it up elsewhere for the reviewers.  This'll make it
> much easier as far as fixing errors and reviewing go.. I won't be trying
> to hit a moving target.  Since everyone who's replied to you seems to be
> in agreement that this is a good thing, when I do the above, I'll cut
> out the more 'advanced' bits.  It'll also give us additional books to
> publish down the road sometime if we want to :-)

[ What's that quote about foolish consistency and small minds? ]

For this, I think we might be able to get away with a branch.  But only
of doc/en*/books/handbook.  Then you can make any changes you want on the
branch.  You control what goes on the branch, including merging any
additions made to the main tree.  You also get the hat that says "I will
merge in any typo/grammer/ wording fixes made on this branch back to the
main trunk as soon as possible".