Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 19:20:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID solutions?

N recently said:

> >> Like I said, I have 20 disks spread over 4 controllers. Running
> >> 3.0-CURRENT, so with CAM. The only caveat I encountered was
> >> that boot.flp doesn't have enough inodes free to create
> >> all /dev entries on the ram disk, so I had to do the
> >> initial install with two of the three external SCSI casings
> >> disconnected from their respective controllers.

> > Do you really need 4 controllers? We have two currently (with 10
> > disks present).

> And I have 20, with four controllers. Scales nicely. The most
> important reason for me for more controllers is SCSI cable length
> restrictions.

If you go with differential SCSI you are limited to 25 Meters (a
bit over 75 feet).  Using wide differntial you'd have no problem
with 60 drives on the four controllers.  Unless you used one of the
multi-channel controlers.  On four 3-channel boards you could get
up to 180 drives.

(I can just imagine some DOS/Win person asking how you get more
than 26 drives when the letters stop at Z!). :-)