Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 13:42:54 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Keith Spencer <bsd@smmc.qld.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP doc ambiguity..help!

On Fri, May 02, 1997 at 01:09:29PM +0000, Keith Spencer wrote:

I'd see your messages sooner if you set your date and time zone
(+1000) correctly.

> Hi all,
> I have read and followed ch13 "PPP & SLIP" doc for  a dynamic IP and
> user PPP. ....but
> a) I find it ambiguous..do I do a ppp.conf file for static and then
> simply add in the 3 lines
> 		ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0
> 		delete ALL
> 		add 0 0 10.0.0.2
>
> I guess I do!

No, if you're using dynamic addressing, you don't set up for static.

> since there is nowhere in dynamic section that configs for my
> provider.

That's right.  It's done dynamically.

> If so, do I remove the 3 corresponding lines in static config
> section of doc?

That sounds the best.  It would be easier if you included your config
file.

> b) after re-booting I tried
> 			ppp
> 			dial provider
>  and no dial occurred...it timedout
> Any ideas ?

Did you give it the correct device name?

> I have not been able to get a blip out of my modem...I know it works
> because the machine I'm installing freebsd on is a dual win95/bsd
> boot. In windows it dials how do you reckon this got to you? ;^)

Probably your Windows configuration is complete :-)

Greg