Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 17:42:36 -800
From:      walton@nordicdms.com (Dave Walton)
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UNIX

On 29 Jan 98 at 23:27, Brian Somers wrote:

> > David <jvalens@followme.com> writes:
> > > The question that I have is by lraening FreeBSD will I be able to more
> > > to a ture UNIX system ie: solaris?
> >
> > I'll assume you mean "true".  I think FreeBSD is just as "real" as
> > Solaris when it comes to UNIX systems.  In fact, having started my
> > UNIX career on UNIX V7 and 4.1 BSD, I find FreeBSD a lot "truer" UNIX
> > than Solaris any day.
>
> I'd tend to agree.  I've recently had the pleasure of *using* several
> Solaris boxen.  The advantage IMHO is the hardware, not the OS.
>
> I've had no problems finding my way 'round Solaris from an
> administrative point of view.  Everything's very BSD'ish for a SYSV
> machine :-)

At my previous job a couple of years ago, we had a client INSIST that
we set up a Solaris x86 box for them.  (This was before we convinced
them that FreeBSD was preferable.)  The thing that stands out in my
mind the most about that whole experience was my discovery that
Solaris lets you backspace over the command prompt...

Dave

Dave Walton
Webmaster, Postmaster                   Nordic Entertainment Worldwide
walton@nordicdms.com                          http://www.nordicdms.com