Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:45:13 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATAPI CD-ROM not found on bootup

I have a Pentium II 233Mhz w/ 32MB RAM. I currently have two Seagate
hard drives installed and a Philips 40x CD-ROM. The 4.1GB hard drive is
on IDE0 as master and the CD-ROM is on IDE0 as slave. A 3.0GB drive is
on IDE1 as master. I don't have any SCSI devices. Because of the
physical layout of the box it would be very difficult for me to change
the cable connections.

Everything worked fine under 3.5-STABLE. Since upgrading to 4.1-STABLE
I haven't been able to mount my CD-ROM -- it doesn't seem to be
detected on boot-up. I tried compiling the kernel using the GENERIC
configuration file, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

The following lines are excerpted from dmesg -- I think they are the
only relevant lines:
.
.
.
>pcib0: <Host to PCI bridge> on motherboard
>pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
>atapci0: <SiS 5591 ATA33 controller> port
0xffa0-0xffaf,0x374-0x377,0x170-0x177,
>0x3f4-0x3f7,0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 0 at device 0.1 on pci0
>ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
>ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
.
.
.
>ata0-master: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 compliant cable
>ad0: 4126MB <ST34311A> [8944/15/63] at ata0-master using UDMA33
>ad2: 3077MB <ST33232A> [6253/16/63] at ata1-master using UDMA33
>Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

Under 3.5-STABLE the CD-ROM was being detected automatically, as device
acd0, but it's not being detected under 4.1-STABLE. When I try to mount
it I get:

>[root@ceres ~]# mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom
>cd9660: Device not configured

What should I try next? Should I remove the ata driver and use the wdc
controller instead? LINT doesn't really say anything about which
controller to use, but GENERIC uses the ata driver only and LINT says
the two are incompatible. Should I resign myself to going back to
3.5-STABLE? Since I haven't seen many messages about this it must not
be a problem for most people, so I can't really claim 4.1-STABLE is
broken, but it isn't working for me! Am I asking on the right list?
Should this go to the freebsd-stable list instead?
--
Roger