Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:41:06 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Tom Marsh <ts_marsh@mac.com>
Cc:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't see wood for trees

[-- Replies set to freebsd-questions.  Please *keep* it that way --]

On 2004-06-04 10:31, Tom Marsh <ts_marsh@mac.com> wrote:
> But after a successful install (via FTP) of 5.2.1 I'm really starting
> to think that I'm out of my depth.

Nah, the helpful people here at freebsd-questions@freebsd.org will help
you when you feel like you're stuck.  You just have to ask in the Right
Way(TM) and provide all the necessary details.

> make installworld falls over (I followed the manual)

What are the exact steps you followed?

> can't get mysql running at all

It's not very hard to install MySQL on FreeBSD.  I did it last week,
when I started installing a test platform with apache, mysql and
mod_perl to play around:

    root@gothmog:/root# sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysqld.sh start
    root@gothmog:/root# ps xa | grep -v grep | grep mysql
     2414  p2  S      0:00.02 /bin/sh /home/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe --datadi...
     2437  p2  S      0:00.26 /home/mysql/bin/mysqld --basedir=/home/mysql...
    root@gothmog:/root# sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysqld.sh stop
    Killing mysqld with pid 2437
    Wait for mysqld to exit done
    root@gothmog:/root#

I didn't want to use the mysql port, but even following the installation
instructions of the MySQL source tree was relatively easy.  A bit of
tinkering with the mysql users and passwords, and a few minutes latter
all was ready for the build of my mod_perl enabled Apache :-)

How did you try to install MySQL?  How did it fail?

> Would I be better off using the 4.10 tree?

Probably.  I've been using FreeBSD 5.X for a long time, but 4.X is the
-STABLE branch so sticking with it isn't a bad idea.  The right hand
sidebar over at www.FreeBSD.org has a good description of the
differences between 4.X and 5.X -- be sure to check that before picking
your version.

- Giorgos