Date:      Thu, 18 May 2006 08:44:30 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB headset ... ?

Quoting "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> (from Wed, 17 May 2006 =20
22:52:23 -0300 (ADT)):

> has anyone ever used something like this under FreeBSD?
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005A9AU/104-0319067-3554367?n=3D172282
>
> like, are there drivers needed, or ... ?
>
> Skype has it listed, and I like the fact that I'm not going to end up
> tying up my sound card ...

You should be aware that our USB stack doesn't allow full duplex =20
communication by default ATM. For uhci chipsets you can enable it by =20
changing the source and it should work.

If this Plantronics headset is just an ordinary USB audio device, it =20
should work (FreeBSD 6.1 or -current is a good choice then).

In case you want to play music at the same time you are using a =20
headset, you can activate the virtual channels for the audio device =20
with a sysctl. This way the sound system allows to open /dev/dsp =20
multiple times and mixes everything together and you don't need to =20
have more than one soundcard.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
http://www.Leidinger.net  Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org     netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137
LEVERAGE:
=09Even if someone doesn't care what the world thinks
=09about them, they always hope their mother doesn't find out.