Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:18:41 +0200
From:      Volodymyr Kostyrko <arcade@ints.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: winxp and freebsd

Eric wrote:
> I want to configure my pc to dual boot winxp and freebsd.  Should I
> install winxp first?  Or freebsd first.
>
> Thanks for any advice.

   You can install WinXP first or last, it doesn't matter. IT just takes
some handwork to return to FreeBSD from Windows.

   First on Windows you mast mark the FreeBSD partition active. There is
a tool named diskpart which can help you. Besides his dumb command
interface.

   >diskpart
   #sel disk 0			(disk numbering starts from 0)
   #sel part 1			(partition numbering starts from 1)
   #active
   #exit

   You just need to remember your FreeBSD partition number.

   Next reboot your computer. FreeBSD should start without the
BootManager prompt. In FreeBSD you can restore normal BootMananger with
`boot0cfg -B /dev/ad0` command.

--
[WBR], Arcade. [SAT Astronomy/Think to survive!]