Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:45:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   high load, nothing happening?

Hi,

We just built a large webserver machine (PII-450, 1GB RAM, 30-odd G of
Mylex RAID, 3.3-R) that constantly runs a load of from 1 to 3, even though
it's not doing anything (still sitting as a staging server).  The initial
startup is also very slow; after about 40 of the servers start there's
about a 15 second pause, then another 40, pause, etc...

This box is running about 170 virtual hosts (and a full class C
of addresses aliased to fxp0) under Apache 1.3.9, with each vhost running
as it's own user and starting 3 servers at startup, so there are a large
*number* of processes, but no swapping with about half a gig of RAM left
free.

I have maxusers at 512, NMBCLUSTERS at 4096, and the following sysctl
adjustments:

kern.maxproc: 8212
kern.maxfiles: 100000      kern.maxfilesperproc: 16424
kern.maxprocperuid: 8211   kern.ipc.somaxconn: 512

This is all gathered from various "tuning for a big webserver" posts from
the various FBSD lists.

systat, vmstat, iostat all look normal, and I've not seen any curious
entries in the logs.

So that's the info, my questions are "why the load", and "is that OK"?
Something seems wrong here, but I'm at a loss.

Any ideas where to start looking?

Thanks,

Charles

---