Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:57:26 -0700
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windows X

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 07:07 am, Wojciech Puchar
<wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net> wrote:
> > > and start browsing. :)
> >
> > I just installed the newest XFce today, and wow, it's nice. Very fast. I
> > don't
>
> compared to KDE - for sure fast.

I know that. Obviously something like XFce is going to be faster than KDE.
What I meant, as I explained later, is that it's even faster on my box than
IceWM.

> > If I were a better
> > programmer I'd backwards engineer it without all the hooks into KDE stuff,
>
> nice idea. hopefully text-mode pine is fine for me, quick and can be
> configured to run right programs to view attachment (like xv to view .jpg,
> gif etc.)

I've used Pine a great deal in the past. Right now I receive far too much
email, which I need to be able to access quickly in ways that Pine can't do
as well for me. I need a complex folder tree and HTML view (though HTML is
often not necessary in email, but I can't educate everyone else why), quick
access to many accounts and mail protocols within the same client, and many
other tools, or at least it makes email much more efficient for me to have it
all in one place. I've tried duplicating what I need in Pine and other text
clients with other tools, but it never works as efficiently as a GUI client
with the right tools built in. One day I'll write my own, though, without as
much overhead as KMail or just clean that one up.

- jt