Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 16:59:46 -0400
From:      "Booth, Christopher" <christopher_booth@mcgraw-hill.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   IIJPPP & FreeBSD 3.1

Greetings, FreeBSDers:

I used to be able to access the Internet and Web from FreeBSD 2.2.6 with no
problem. Since upgrading to 3.1 I have been unable to connect to my new ISP,
from the same hardware. I have a dynamic account on a lone, single-user P133
with an internal modem.

I am able to dial up, but not packets get passed. After a short while,
usually about 20 seconds I get disconnected. The ppp never changes to PPP
and I get the message

     Warning: Chat script failed

In the /var/log/ppp.log very little seems useful, but the example of the log
instructions given in _The Complete FreeBSD_, /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.sample, _The
PedanticPPP_, etc., etc., causes PPP to fail entirely. [I mean the line that
says

     set log Phase Chat Connect LCP tun command

; I can't get PPP to do anything unless this line is commented out.]

So far this error message seems to most useful:

     ifconfig ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Destination address required

When I tried connecting via the PPP tool in KDE, which I have been
exploring, I found a similar message in the log.

When I tried to use PPP and log on using term, was flooded by a message
saying

     /kernel: sio2: 1 more silo overflow (total n)

, which I don't understand at all.

It looks to me like I am not communicating with my modem: sio2/cuaa2 is
working, but ping, netstat -rn, route, etc., tell me

     no route to host

Could anyone help me out with this? I certainly would appreciate being able
to go on to a more interesting problem (and one less embarrassing than
simply connecting to my ISP), to say nothing of being able to read my email
at home, and maybe do a little websurfing....

TIA!

Ciao,

Chris Booth
aixx.net

p.s.: I don't know if this is relevant or not; my new ISP requires only
username, which I need to send, and then password, which the ISP prompts me
for with

     password:

then the ISP sends "Entering PPP", which is followed by the usual
gobbeldygook. I have tried using "set openmode active", but with no
discernable result.