Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 22:56:55 -0300
From:      Fernando Ariel Gont <fgont@softhome.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Two many CRCs?

Hi!

I'm reading Stevens' "TCP/IP Illustrated", and have the following doubt:
I don't quite understand why you have a CRC field at PPP (or at Ethernet), then one CRC field at IP and then one CRC field at the TCP layer.
Why is there one CRC field in each layer, and not only one at, say, TCP?

Best regards,

Fernando Ariel Gont

E-mail:   fgont@softhome.net
web site: http://members.xoom.com/gont/

--- "Con las computadoras crearemos una civilizacion de estupidos tecnologicos,
      y una elite se ira quedando con todo. Cuando digo elite me refiero a gente
      como yo, que puede leer." - Ray Bradbury, escritor