Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 23:04:12 -0500
From:      Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Temperature

Kent Stewart wrote:

> David Kelly wrote:
> >
> > Peter Wemm writes:

> > > The main difference is that Linux halts the cpu in the idle loop, we don't.
> > > As a result the cpu is in a tight spin waiting for a process to become
> > > scheduleable.  I have some patches half-done that I've been working on for
> > > 4.0 that should probably be able to be adapted to the 3.x series.
> >
> > I'll let others debate whether or not FreeBSD halts the CPU when idle
> > or not, or whether this has changed recently.
> >
> > OTOH Ted has a problem that is being ignored: that his CPU/Heatsink/Fan
> > combination is apparently not up to a 100% duty cycle. DOS would cook
> > it. As would most games. Or several "make buildworlds" in a row.

No this is right after bootup. It started right after I did a make world
around Christmas or coinciding with 3.4-STABLE. It runs 26 degrees
hotter right from the get go. Linux still runs cool like always. FreeBSD
used to be exactly the same. I have a SMP board with 2 CPU's.

> Antec and Startech have some dual fans for P-II's. The old P-II style
> is hard to find but the K-7 Athalon apparently uses the same style of
> fan. One of the vendors has a monster fan for a P-III.
>
> I run setiathome in the background on all of my computers, which keeps
> the systems at 100% all of the time. I had a new 250W PS go out in
> three days. The fans that come on P-II OEM's is not that great.
>
> It also sounds like he isn't getting enough outside air. You can't
> cool if the inside air is hot.

It runs at 87F on both CPU's and a 95F case temp under Linux regardless
of load maybe varies 3-4 degrees +-. It's extremely cool. FreeBSD was
just like that till I did a makeworld right around or after Christmas
then this started. FreeBSD runs 26F degrees hotter right after bootup
with nothing. Booting back to Linux it reverts back to the old
temps...cool. It's just FreeBSD.

Regards,
--
Ted Sikora