Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 22:07:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jackv@earthling.net (Jack Velte)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, yelowjam@pacbell.net
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Linux emulation

Jack Velte said:

> >> how well does this work?  if it works well, then it's a very good thing
> >> because it'll be easier to canabalize linux users.  100% linux capability
> >> would be a very good thing.  is the `emulation' slower?
> >>
> >Generally FreeBSD emulation of Linux is slightly faster, and MUCH faster
> >under load.  Running certain LL benchmarks, FreeBSD is slower, but app
> >performance is supurb.
>
> do 100% of the app's run 100% of the time?  (except for the buggy ones, eh?)
>
> then a slogan like, "freebsd, the stable linux," would work pretty well in
> linux journal, maybe.

Unfortunately, it is hard to standardize against a moving target.  FreeBSD
isn't quite 100%, but more like 95-99%.  Not good enough for 100%, unless
a seriously funded organization is willing to work the support issues to
force it to 100%. :-(.

Earlier on, I had a dream of a Linux upgrade in the form of slipping in
a FreeBSD kernel.  It would almost work, but not quite (device nodes,
some missing Linux emulation API, etc.) :-(.