Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 22:19:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   laptop, pao-boot.flp, emacs-half installed, ld.so failed

Greetings:

I have 2.2.5 up and running on my PC with XFree86, user PPP, and Netscape.

On my laptop (a Toshiba Satallite 305CDS) I have 2.2.5 up and running in a
dual boot situation with Windows95. I am less ambitious about the laptop.
I will be happy with having the pcmcia credit card modem work, user PPP
running, and emacs installed. I have the GNU compiler and mtools working
fine.

In my initial installation from the cdrom, I selected X-user.

Later I ran out of room doing a pkg_add for emacs. I tried to make some
room by just deleteing the contents of the X11R6 directory. I tried to do
a pkg_delete for emacs, but the package list never made it onto my hard
drive. Now I can neither pkg_add or pkg_delete it.

Trying to run emacs gives me a ld.so failed: Can't find shared library
"libXmv.so.6.0" I copied the file from the PC and recreated /usr/X11R6
just to contain it, but that did not work.

My /usr directory on wd0s3f is at 91% capacity.

Perhaps I would be best of starting, not from scratch, but from a clean
FreeBSD slice.

Could I just do a rm -r * from / and then reboot from the pao-boot.flp?
(I doubt it will be that easy, so I'm not about to try anything just yet).
I have the Greg Leahy book.

Anyway without emacs, I can't really do much. (I'm not about to try
re-learning vi). Without a modem or user PPP, I'm isolated from ports.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken