Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 15:08:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Theodore Hope <freebsd@iguana.internexo.co.cr>
To:        mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us (Mike Newell)
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 install hangs during probe

Mike,

> I had this happen to me.  It turned out in my case that my BIOS was using
> IRQ12 for the PCI interrupt; I changed it to IRQ11 and it worked fine.
> The problem occurred while it was probing a LinkSys Ethernet card; I
> figured THAT out 'cause when I removed the card it booted right up.

This machine is using irq 12 for the ps/2 mouse (that's what BSDI says
when it's booting), and I don't think I can change that in the BIOS.

Even if I use the 3com DOS-based utility to set a particular irq & iobase
for the card (3c509 Etherlink III), either 0x250/11 which BSDI uses
or 0x300/10 which is the default for freebsd, it still freezes up.

Any ideas?  Thanks,
 -T.