Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:50:23 +0100
From:      devet@devet.org (Arjan de Vet)
To:        blovett@bsdguru.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPF dropping packets randomly

In article <20020209092201.A64202@bsdguru.com> you write:

>After doing some more looking around, I discovered that my state table
>was full at those points in time.  I also find it peculiar that
>connections to, for example, a IRC server after being closed are set to
>a TTL of 1 minute, while SSH sessions disappear from the state listing
>entirely, only to time out 2 hours later (or so it appears).  Once a
>connection is closed, how does IPF determine how long to leave an entry
>in the state table for?  Is it based on the TTL of a packet finalizing
>the close of the connection?

A connection that has been closed in a normal way (both sides sent a FIN
packet) gets a timeout of 4 minutes. A connection that has only been
half-closed (only one side sent a FIN packet) gets a timeout of 2 hours.

See fr_tcp_age() in ip_state.c for the full algorithm.

Arjan

--
Arjan de Vet, Eindhoven, The Netherlands               <devet@devet.org>
Work: http://www.madison-gurkha.com/  (Security, Open Source, Education)