Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 17:06:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: porting to EB64+ / Alpine

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> As Doug Rabson wrote...
> > On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> >
> > > As Doug Rabson wrote...

> > > Interrupts... (I did not have any interrupt mapping setup ;-) I'm trying
> > > to get an understanding of how that works now.
>
> It seems you don't really need a mapping setup, the SRM seems to do that
> for you on the EB64+ (???? here).

Ideally we shouldn't need to generate the mapping for any platforms and
SRM would program the intline of the pci config space with the right
number.  This happens for newer systems but not for old ones.

> > > Somewhat related question: I would appreciate the output of SHOW CONF
> > > of a genuine EB64+. My Aspen Alpine is different enough to make this
> > > interesting.
> >
> > I imagine that SRM had enabled a few pci interrupts for booting and this
> > is what was interrupting.  Most of the platform code (e.g.
> > dec_st550.c) disables all the interrupts that it doesn't know about to
> > avoid this.
>
> This was the golden tip. I disabled all interrupts except for the ISA-PCI
> bridge (is this right BTW?). Now the Alpine is happily running FreeBSD:

It sounds right (for an apecs based platform) as long as you don't lose
something important like the clock :-).

> alpine#w
>  5:47PM  up 36 mins, 2 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
> USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
> root             p0       yedi              5:41PM     - w
> root             p1       yedi              5:44PM     3 -sh (sh)
> alpine#uname -a
> FreeBSD alpine.iaf.nl 3.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #4: Sun Jan 10
> 15:11:45 CET 1999     root@axp33.iaf.nl:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  alpha
> alpine#
>
> There are a few things I don't understand, like why the 100Mbit DE500 card
> does not want to work in the Alpine.
>
> Anyway, I'll have it build world as a test. In the meantime I can finally
> read the EB64+ tech manual ;-) ;-)

Nice to see the beast up and running - we'll have to get the support into
the tree.  I forget, do you have commit privs?

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com