Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 20:26:14 +0200
From:      Christophe =?ISO-8859-1?B?UHLpdm90YXV4?= <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
To:        Scott Ullrich <sullrich@CRE8.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HUT Project

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:00:30 -0500
Scott Ullrich <sullrich@CRE8.COM> wrote:

> The HUT Project includes FreeVRRPD.  Since Sebastien hasn't rung in here, I
> will try to clear the air.
>
> Sebastien and I are currently rewriting FreeVRRPD to take care of the
> remaining RFC issues and to cleanup the ARP code.  The new version will be
> completely RFC compliant and will feature a few extra bells and whistles of
> its own.

Yes but it has been said that this should better belong in the kernel
and that seems to be the reason why it has not gained wider acceptance
among freebsd commiter. (just my 2 cents :))

----------------------- I quote ------------------------------------------
You've touched on my problem with it, that it _doesn't_ rely on kernel
modifciations. It does some very hackish things with BPF devices and
clobbering MAC addresses. If someone wants to do this The Right Way,
some of it definately needs to live in the kernel.
                                   |     cjclark@jhu.edu

> My development version currently does not update arp cache tables but takes
> over the Mac.  In addition, the master and backup arp address are settable
> for each VRID.  It seems to be running very well if anyone is interested in
> taking a look at my hacks (no pun intended).
>
> Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we will have a new development version
> posted.
>
> Peace,
>
> Scott

Christophe Prevotaux        Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
3 Allée Thierry Sabine      Direct: +33 (0)3 26 79 08 02
BP202                       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
51686 Reims Cedex 2
FRANCE                   HEXANET Network Operation Center