Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:30:10 -0800
From:      Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>
To:        Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie@catflap.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compressed TIME-WAIT to be decomissioned

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 06:25:06PM +0000, Jamie Landeg-Jones wrote:
J> >   modern HTTP server can be lowered 3 times more.  Feel free to lower
J> >   net.inet.tcp.msl and do your own measurements with
J> >   'netstat -sp tcp | grep TIME-WAIT'.  I'd be glad to see your results.
J>
J> Without changing net.inet.tcp.msl I get:
J>
J>  | 18:18 (46.0°C 1100) (2) "/tmp" jamie@thompson% do-all-hosts 'netstat -sp tcp | grep TIME_WAIT'
J>  | _______________________________________________________
J>  | jamie@catflap: netstat -sp tcp | grep TIME_WAIT
J>  |  catflap:       1506 connections in TIME_WAIT state
J>  | _______________________________________________________
J>  | jamie@catnip: netstat -sp tcp | grep TIME_WAIT
J>  |   catnip:       1666 connections in TIME_WAIT state
J>  | _______________________________________________________
J>  | jamie@catseye: netstat -sp tcp | grep TIME_WAIT
J>  |  catseye:       2334 connections in TIME_WAIT state
J>  | .
J>  | .
J>
J> Not primarily webservers, but running an application with (obviously) lots of
J> short-lived tcp connections...

Sorry, the stats I was talking about are present in CURRENT only:

netstat -sp tcp | grep TIME-WAIT
        3 times connection in TIME-WAIT responded with ACK
        0 times connection in TIME-WAIT was actively recycled
        0 times connection in TIME-WAIT responded with RST

I will merge it to stable/13 today, so that those running 13 can check it out.

--
Gleb Smirnoff