Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 1997 19:23:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        JEFFREY_C TSAY <ctsay@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, torstenb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: maplay 1.2+ port

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, JEFFREY_C TSAY wrote:

> I have modified maplay 1.2 to play MPEG audio layer III files, and
> I have ported it to FreeBSD. In order to relieve some space from
> my account, and to distribute it better, I would appreciate it
> if someone would place the source and the executable files in the
> FreeBSD port collection. The source and executable can be found at :
>
> http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ctsay/mp2win32.html
>
> Please let me know if you are willing to help. Thanks.

Jeffrey, how does that differ from the maplay port that now exists in
/usrports/audio/maplay?  Is your work a FreeBSD port?  If it's a
modified version of the author's work, could you consider maybe (if
there's some difference with our current maplay port) changing our maplay
port to include your changes?  Our ports system is really how we
distribute ported FreeBSD software, and it's really well worth your time
to look at it, believe me.  Just browsing the bsd.port.mk ports makefile
is worth your time, it's a masterpiece of makefiles.  You learn that one,
you know just about everything there is to know about Makefiles.

Seeing as our ports generate their own binary packages automatically, it's
really not necessary for you to hold your binary, if your space is real
short (I know my own university account is kinda cramped!)

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |