Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:51:04 +0200
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] naming of tty devices.

In message <20040921104246.GA75823@regency.nsu.ru>, Alexey Dokuchaev writes:
>On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 09:38:45AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>
>> My suggestion is the following:
>>
>> 	All drivers will offer "tty${something}" devices, and
>> 	generally ${something} will consist of a letter followed
>> 	by a number, possibly in base 36 ([0-9a-z]).
>>
>> 	All drivers which attach to external equipment via a serial
>> 	connector should also offer "cua${thesamething}".  "Embedded"
>> 	serial ports, pseudo drivers etc, do not have to offer the
>> 	"cua" if DCD state on open is not an issue.
>>
>> 	The init and lock devices will be called ${base_device}.[init,lock]
>> 	and they will possibly be provided by on-demand devices so that
>> 	they do not clutter up /dev.
>
>What about contracting `.init|lock' to just `i|l', like we have with all
>(most) other device names out there (i.e., acd0t0, not acd0track0) -- long
>device names is a thing to avoid, IMHO.

The problem with just a 'i' or 'l' is that it creates confusion as to
what is the device name and what is the extension.  I like the concept
of a big fat '.' in there to tell the extension apart.  Shortening the
extension from "init" to "i" and "lock" to "l" would be confusing at
best, and of little real saving in practice.

My plan is for the ".init" and ".lock" devices to be "on-demand", in
other words, they won't show up until first time you try to access them.