Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 10:24:53 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Segate Tape stor 3200MB

On Sun, Dec 21, 1997 at 11:20:20AM +0100, J Wunsch wrote:
> In (not only) my experience, DAT doesn't last that long.  The drives
> last at most two years (daily use) until they are worn out, and a
> repair is usually in the same price range as a new drive.

I contributed significantly to that report.  I had a series of HP
35480As (DDS-1) which each lasted about 6 months.

Things have changed.  I have had no trouble with more recent DDS-2
drives, including the Archive changer I'm currently using.  I've heard
of problems with refurbished drives, though.

> Media life is short, too.

I've had no trouble at all with this.  I have retired some tapes which
I've been using twice-weekly (16 hours tape motion per week) after
about 18 months.  I don't think that's unreasonable, especially when
you consider that a 90m DDS tape costs about $1.50 per gigabyte,
compared to about $45 per gigabyte for a QIC-525.

Greg