Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 1999 17:24:31 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        Dan Mayne <DMayne@cortelcosystems.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: Custom Install

> Is this a problem, am I doing something wrong, or is the Custom install
> option only for adding components to an existing installation?

Hi Dan,

At 2.2.7 I experienced a problem myself using the Custom sets;  I believe
that's been worked out for 3.1-STABLE (which is IMHO where you really want
to be).  You can get to a daily snapshot of the -STABLE branch at
ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD

I _always_ use the 'Developer' installation set but will try to do a 'Custom'
one tonight.

My approach is to always build everything I can from source, and exclusively
from the ports collection unless there is a piece of software that isn't
represented there.  In that case, I try to create a new port for it.

Nice to see you around!

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net