Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:39:59 -0700
From:      Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   usb device permissions

Hi,

I'm using -CURRENT and looking for an easy way to get it to change the
permissions to a usb device when plugged in.  I know I can change things
on startup with devfs.conf, but what do I do for usb?

It is a umass device that creates da0 and da0s.  I've tried to put in
usbd.conf

device "Storage"
	device "da.*"
	attach "/bin/chmod 0666 /dev/${DEVNAME}"

but no joy.

I've also tried a rule for devfs by creating /etc/devfs.rules with

add path "da*" mode 0666

same result.

Could someone help me figure this one out?

Thanks,
Sean