Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:52:48 -0600
From:      Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
To:        - Felix - <Felix.Schalck@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel mode programming

- Felix - wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Doing lot of syscalls interrupts in a soft seems to take quite a long time, and seriously slow performances. As far as you can't reduce the syscall amount, is there any way to run apps in kernel mode, in order to call sysfonctions directly ? Perhaps by re-writing softs in kernel modules ?
>
> thanks for your time.

Yes, it is possible to write loadable kernel modules. As far as if your
programs can be rewritten as kernel modules and achieve better
performance that's entirely dependent on what you are doing. What type
of syscalls are you executing? What is the rate at which you are calling
them? If you are calling a syscall on the same arguments thousands of
times could you implement some sort of cache system for syscall results?

In my opinion it's bad practice to just throw a program into the kernel
to get better performance without evaluating why the performance is bad.
Making it a kernel module invites all kinds of security and stability
issues.

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans@gamersimpact.com