Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 12:29:50 -0500
From:      "Ed P." <secure@r0ck.com>
To:        Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fwd: [linux-security] Re: Port 7 scan

--------  - It seems that on Thu, 10 Jun 1999 Richard Day  said....=20
---------- Subject: [linux-security] Re: Port 7 scan
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 23:36:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Day <rich@Resonate.com>

Juha,

The "scans" you are seeing are in response to a DNS lookup being initiate=
from your site for ad.doubleclick.net. More then likely it is a web
browser some were in your site, or more then likely many that initiate th=
lookup. The content that the browser is requesting is available from many
sites of DoubleClicks at many different locations on the Internet. The
connect back to your DNS server is to find which of these sites is best
for you in terms of latency. This information, along with the current loa=
on the servers at each site is used to determine which IP to return to yo=
so that you go to the fastest site. The "scans" will not happen with out =
request from your side. The information that is received is cached for a
period and reused to reduce the total amount of connections. In most
situations the group of connections back to your machine will be utilized
by many out bound requests from your end.

Hope this clears up your questions, drop me an email if not.

rich

=09~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
=09Richard Day   Technical Support Manager

=09Resonate, Inc.
=09385 Moffett Park Drive
=09Suite 205
=09Sunnyvale, CA 94089

=09Main         408 548.5500
=09Direct =09     408 548.5648
=09Fax =09     408 548.5679
=09Support      408 548.5600
=09~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Juha Virtanen wrote:

> From: EW1 Coral J. Cook <ccook@nosc.mil> 9.6.1999 21:10:
>=20
>=20
> >Over the last several day, we've been getting pretty regular scans fro=
m a
> >non-existant host on our port 7. Any idea what they are looking for/wh=
at are
> >some of vulnerabilites with echo?
>=20
>=20
> I've seen the same and I issued incident tickets on major US service
> providers.
>=20
> I got the following information quoted below:
>=20

--=20
Please refer to the information about this list as well as general
information about Linux security at http://www.aoy.com/Linux/Security.