Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 16:20:37 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        Steve Brown <freebsd@prayforwind.com>, FBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: install package from pre-downloaded tgz file?

--cPi+lWm09sJ+d57q

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 10:18:16AM -0500, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
> Yes this worked just like you said. But when it ran it=20
> said it needed other packages that were missing.=20
> I thought when I selected a package install it was a=20
> complete pre complied working environment ready to use=20
> as is after install completes. What I think I see happening=20
> is a package does not include any of it's required dependents=20
> pre-compiled into the package. That the package will still=20
> require it's dependents, but it needs the packaged versions=20
> of it's dependents. Am I correct in this?

Yes - the dependencies are separate packages, which you need to fetch
separately. If you put them in the same directory pkg_add will automatically
find them.

> Another thing I saw was when pkg_add tries to download the=20
> other dependent packages it tries to but them in /var=20
> directory tree and not /usr directory tree. /usr has 1.7G free=20
> space and /var has 18M free space and all the dependents fill=20
> up the /var so the pkg_add terminates due to ran out of space. =20
>=20
> Is there some way to tell pkg_add to use /usr to stage package=20
> install instead of /var? =20

Yes, see pkg_add(1):

     The environment variables PKG_TMPDIR and TMPDIR, in that order, are ta=
ken
     to name temporary directories where pkg_add will attempt to create its
     staging area in.  If these variables are not present or if the directo-
     ries named lack sufficient space, then pkg_add will use the first of
     /var/tmp, /tmp or /usr/tmp with sufficient space.

HTH,

--Stijn

--=20
In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in
the proper order then why can't he?

--cPi+lWm09sJ+d57q

--cPi+lWm09sJ+d57q--