Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 1995 17:11:23 -0500
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>

Subject: Re: Shipping w/ HTTPD BAD IDEA
To: peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 17:10:04 -0500 (EST)
Sender: henrich

> First of all, on the subject of cern versus ncsa... I've used both. In fact I'
> using both. CERN is at least twice as fast, and has a lot more features. The
> only problem is that it's a little hairier to configure. This can be resolved
> by providing a decent sample configuration.

NCSA's is very very fast, I use it to server well over 3 million documents a
month, and the server its on never breaks a load average of 1, nor do you even
notice the web is running there.  Its small tight and compact, CERN is big and
bloated, I digress however, a religous war is precisely what I do not want,
which is precisely why providing a server as part of the OS is not a good idea.

>Second, on why we want it... it's *not* to run as a web server. It's to provid
>a single interface to online documentation. You can point your lynx or netscap
>or mosaic to a file: url, but you can't do cgi that way. And it would be so
>cool to provide a cgi interface to man.

Online documentation that relies on CGI scripts would "suck" (for lack of a
better term).  In that situation there is no good way to create printed
documents from the online help system, and it also forces one to use a web
client such as lynx.  How long before man pages become useless web pages (ala
AIX who chose to support a web-like useinterface to documentation that is 10
times more a pain in the ass to work with than man)..

-Crh

    Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu

                     http://rs560.msu.edu/~henrich/