Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 2014 14:54:56 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 10-STABLE CD PowerMac3, 4 installation stuck repeating CAM status: Command timeout

This is a report for: CDs made from =
FreeBSD-10.0-STABLE-powerpc-20140528-r266807-disc1.iso (md5 verified)
Also for: CDs made from =
FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-powerpc-20140525-r266655-disc1.iso (nearly =
identical behavior)

I have recently been experimenting with basic installation and =
configuring of FreeBSD and some Linux variants on some old PowerMacs and =
one old Pentium D PC.

I will note up front that Mac OS X 10.4 installation media and the Linux =
media that I've tried all boot the configurations listed below just =
fine, can do installs, and so on. So the hardware appears to be okay.

1st Context: PowerMac3,4 466MHz (Early 2001) with one ATA "disk" drive =
(a SSD with an adapter), a Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-7000 drive on a separate =
ATA bus, and 1.5GBytes of RAM, ATY,Rage6.

Booting from either CD eventually goes silent for a bit and then starts =
reporting the following. Most of the lines I'm reporting below start =
with "(aprobe0:ata1:0:1:0):" so I'll not repeat that part of the lines.

ATAPI_IDENTIFY ACB: a1 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00
CAM status: Command timeout
Retrying command
ATAPI_IDENTIFY ACB: a1 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00
CAM status: Command timeout
Error 5, Retries exhausted
run_interrupt_driven_hooks: Still waiting after 60 seconds for =
xpt_config

Such lines repeat and another run_interrupt_driven_hooks notice is put =
out for 120 seconds. After that there are no more examples of that =
particular line are generated that I saw. It seems to be indefinitely =
retrying, generating those other messages as it goes.

=
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2014-January/077091.html=
 reports something similar against "10-STABLE r261177" back on =
2014-Jan-27 for a Thinkpad T42p. There seem to be a historical list of =
reports of this sort of thing going way back.

Side note: During the sequence above does find the SSD on "ada0 at ata0 =
bus 0 scbus 0 target 0 lun 0" and puts out a correct description of it. =
I've not listed those lines. The 11.0 CD does have a difference here. =
Just after these ada0 messages it has an additional line:

WARNING: Witness option enabled, expect reduced performance.

But other than the additional text I could not tell any difference from =
deadlock/cycle checking.

2nd Context: PowerMac3,4 733MHz (Early 2001) with one ATA "disk" drive =
(a SSD with an adapter), a DVD-ROM drive of the same model as above =
(again on the separate ATA bus), and 1.5GBytes of RAM, GeForce4 Ti 4600.

Both CDs appear to stop at what appears to be the same point where those =
messages started above but no messages are produced, not even for the =
SSD on ata0. I've let it sit for 1hr+ and nothing new was displayed. =
There was no witness option enabled massage from 11.0 either.

Unfortunately I'm going to be away from the PowerMacs for a notable time =
so for now I will not being trying burns of older 10.0 or 11.0 .iso's or =
9.3/9.2 ones or other experiments. May be next month.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net