Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:25:18 -0400
From:      Ian Whalley <ian@whalley.org>
To:        tomppa@sun.fi, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unusable PS/2 mouse

>Yes, I have monitor switch but it's dummy manual one.  I removed it
>completely and now mouse works without problems.  It's quite strange
>this switch will broke mouse if I don't use it and switch just sits
>between these wires.  It also works with other operating systems.

Well, the Cybex one I have is not really a dummy manual one, although
it was cheap!  It supports a subset of the standard high-end Cybex
control sequences, one of which is 'reset mouse'.

The problem springs, I think, from confusion between (Intellimouse) and
(!Intellimouse).  The box pretends to be an Intellimouse even when you
don't have one [or this is what seems to happen in my case], and so
FreeBSD detects that you have an Intellimouse.  However, then it all
goes wrong, and I don't really know why!

Best;

I.

--
Ian Whalley, .sig under construction.