Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 18:18:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        mestery@winternet.com (Kyle Mestery)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still errors stopping audio CDs in current

Kyle Mestery wrote...
> On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
>
> > Heh.  Well, it isn't what you think.  In this case, the kernel is retrying
> > the command over and over again.  If I had to guess, I'd say that the drive
> > is returning busy status.  In that case, we wouldn't get any sense
> > information.
> >
> > I've attached a patch for camcontrol.c.  Can you try the above stop command
> > using this patch?
> >

> Sure, here is the sequence of commands again, and assosciated output:
> hope.winternet.com$ cdcontrol
> cdcontrol: no CD device name specified, defaulting to /dev/cd0c
> Compact Disc Control utility, version 2.0
> Type `?' for command list
>
> cdcontrol> p 6
> cdcontrol> ^C
> hope.winternet.com$ sudo camcontrol stop -v -n cd -u 0
> Error received from stop unit command
> CAM status is 0x20c, SCSI status is 0x28

Now that is odd.  0x28 means "queue full".  I'm not sure why a non-tagged
queueing device would return that status!

One question -- when you issue that command, does the CD stop?

It is possible that there is a problem in the BusLogic driver somewhere.
We may try to reproduce the problem here, if we can find a similar Sony
CDROM drive.  Justin may ask you to put some printfs in the BusLogic driver
to see what we're getting back from the controller.

> > Good deal.  And, as I said above, the problem is that the kernel is
> > retrying the command indefinitely.  The patch to camcontrol that I've
> > attached will tell us exactly what error is returned.  Once I know that, we
> > can try to decide what to do.
> >
> Does that give you enough information to go by?  Let me know if there is
> anything else you need from me to figure this one out.  I decided to download
> XFree86 3.3.3 tomorrow, since at this time I am limited to a 28.8 modem
> connection.:)  Thanks for all the help!

That's enough information to go on right now.

As far as I can tell, we're not doing anything wrong in terms of the
commands we issue to the drive.  So, it could be a driver bug, a controller
firmware bug, or a drive firmware bug.  It'll take a litle more
investigation to narrow it down.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry