Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 15:17:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current state of the conventional wisdom?

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Monday,  3 May 1999 at 13:22:52 -0700, Doug White wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 May 1999, Studded wrote:
> >
> >> 1. As far as I can see, 3.1-Stable is the way to go. I need info on the
> >> best way to upgrade a 2.2.8 system to 3.1-Stable, going fully(?) elf in
> >> the process.
> >
> > I suggest holding off until 3.5.  3.X is a total mess at the moment, and
> > if your 2.2.8 box is running fine then don't touch it.
>
> Huh?  What gives you that idea?  I've been running 3.X for some time
> now, and I haven't had any trouble.  If you make such negative
> statements, you should at least justify them.

1.  2.2.X -> 3.X upgrade doesn't handle a.out libraries, rendering a.out
    bins (netscape, built ports, etc.) useless until they're moved.
2.  Sysinstall locks up during the second device probe.
3.  Sysinstall locks up during extraction on machines with <=8MB RAM.
4.  Kernel panics mysteriously after device probe when devices are
    removed; unedited kernel boots normally.
5.  /kernel.config fiasco.
6.  NFS instabilities.
7.

> On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend installing 3.1 right now.  3.2
> will be released in the middle of the month, and it's probably worth
> waiting for.

I'll wait and see.  The conventional release cycle has the .5 release as a
strong comeback for the branch.  Reference 2.0.5, 2.1.5, 2.2.5...

> We've had trouble with NFS for years.  3.X is no worse than 2.X, and
> it's probably better.  The good news is that we've recently seen a lot
> of fixes for NFS go into -CURRENT, and they'll probably appear in 3.X
> (probably 3.3) as well.

-CURRENT is the best NFS candidate, thanks to Matt Dillon's hard work.
Unfortunately -CURRENT has problems elsewhere.

Doug White