Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:55:50 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Riccardo Veraldi' <Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Interested in your opinion "machine check"

Dear Riccardo,

> Yes it's a good idea... I could try to feed the disk with an
> extern power
> supply. Anyway I not only have a HD, there is also the CDrom
> which sucks on the power supply of my AS 255.

Well, you could simply unplug the cdrom and other unused stuff from the
machine and see if that helps.

I double an idle cdrom drive is going to draw a noticeable amount of power,
though.

Have you tried removing and replacing the RAM, as Wilko suggested earlier?
If the contacts are very dirty you can carefully clean them with a glass
fibre brush. Watch for static electricity, though. :-)

You may want to do the same with the cache chips, if they're DIP format.

    Kees Jan